By: Melonie Mottice
It all starts with the email subject line; the first thing people see when they receive an email. The goal of any effective email relationship is to hook the attention of your audience right from the start, delivering your message in full to retain high open rates. So, how do you get the click? Follow these five simple, yet effective subject line strategies to keep them coming back for more!
1. Be Direct And To The Point: At glance, your subject identifies the content of the email. Whether you are announcing a special offer, event, or news update, be clear about the campaign. Don’t send mixed signals. We recommend approximately 50 characters or less, with the exception of highly targeted emails.
2. Keep The Mystery Alive: Don’t lay it all out on the line. We want to intrigue our readers to read on, inviting them to open the email and read our message in full. Use catchy words to trigger interest, while capturing the purpose of the email.
3. Stay Fresh: Repetition will lower open rates. While it's important to establish a brand, each subject line should highlight new content. If you have a long-term message, work on building your brand to compliment your new material.
4. Say ‘No’ To Spammy Words: Remember to always put yourself in the shoes of the recipient. What emails attract you? Which ones do you delete right out of the gate? Avoid excessive use of words like free, help, percent off, and reminder. Multiple exclamation points, dollar signs, words in all CAPS, and these keywords and phrases will trigger spam filters.
5. Testing 1, 2, 3: When in doubt, test! Worried about a long-term message? Test and see what works best for your audience.
If you have any questions, please contact us for help!